Dar Si Hmad for Development, Education and Culture is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 2010 promoting local culture and sustainable initiatives through education and the integration of scientific ingenuity in Southwest Morocco. We operate North Africa's largest fog harvesting project, providing villages with access to potable water. Our Water School and Girls' E-Learning Programs build capacity in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Through our Ethnographic Field School, researchers and students engage with local communities in Agadir, Sidi Ifni, and the rural Aït Baamrane region for meaningful cross-cultural exchange.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Unsung Heroes Post 6: Natalie Sullivan

Interview with Natalie Sullivan


Natalie Sullivan is a Fulbright intern at Dar Si Hmad
from the United States.





What is your name and how old are you?
My name is Natalie Sullivan and I am 23 years old.

Where are you from?
I am from Houston, Texas.

How long have you been in/ lived in Agadir?
I’ve been in Agadir for about 6 months.

Where did you graduate from & with what degree?
I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a B.A. in
English and Arabic.

What brought you to Agadir/ Dar Si Hmad?
I'm here in Morocco as part of the Fulbright program, which is an
international exchange program. I was placed in Agadir to work as a
Fulbright English Teaching Assistant at ENCG. Fulbright also encourages
people to volunteer alongside their teaching. I really like DSH's mission
and the work that they do, so I volunteer/intern here as well!

Describe your role at DSH:
I've mainly been working on developing curriculum and teaching
sessions of the RISE program. Last semester it focused on professional
development, and this semester it'll be more discussion-based,
focusing on "taboo topics" like immigration, freedom of belief, and
gender in Morocco. The students are always motivated, and it's been
great working with them.


What is your favorite part about coming to DSH?
Seeing Dandara (the office cat)! Honestly though, the best thing about
DSH for me is the people who work there. They're all incredibly intelligent,
hard working and fun. They've gone above and beyond to make me feel
comfortable here. Couscous Fridays are another major perk, too!

What is one thing you’d like everyone to know about DSH?
They do amazing work, not only with the fog project, but in other areas
too-- the Oasis School, EFS, and RISE.

What is one of your most memorable moments at DSH?
One time I was teaching a RISE session on my birthday and the students
made a surprise birthday video for me and played it in the middle of the
lesson! It was such a sweet gesture, and the DSH staff all signed a birthday
card for me too!





No comments:

Post a Comment