Dar Si Hmad for Development, Education and Culture is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 2010 promoting local culture and sustainable initiatives through education and the integration of scientific ingenuity in Southwest Morocco. We operate North Africa's largest fog harvesting project, providing villages with access to potable water. Our Water School and Girls' E-Learning Programs build capacity in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Through our Ethnographic Field School, researchers and students engage with local communities in Agadir, Sidi Ifni, and the rural Aït Baamrane region for meaningful cross-cultural exchange.

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

RISE Profile: Zahra Ketoun

Zahra Ketoun is a linguist from the Elqliaa neighborhood of Agadir. The twenty-year-old is currently pursuing a degree in English Studies at Ibn Zohr.

When she applied to our RISE Program, Zahra wasn't sure exactly what she wanted out of life: "I didn’t have a clear vision of what I wanted to achieve in my future so I applied to RISE to help point me in the right direction and show me what I’m capable of doing and what I need to improve about myself. So far, the activities and speakers at RISE have really helped me improve my self-confidence and leadership potential. My favorite thing about RISE has been learning more about myself and my strengths and weaknesses. It’s also been a great place to meet new people from my community and sharing my thoughts and ideas with others."

Zahra Ketoun.JPG

there are a lot of people who love art, but have no place to express themselves or share their creativity

Thanks to RISE, Zahra has identified a need in her community and is building her skills in order to be able to address it:
"In my town, there are a lot of people who love art, but have no place to express themselves or share their creativity. One day, I want to organize an after-school program for kids to have a space where they can express themselves openly and creatively. I love art and want to share knowledge with others as well as learn from others. It was hard to find a place to do this as a kid so this is why I want to establish an art club in my town. In order to do this, I need to know myself better, and I think RISE will help me get there. I think RISE will help me understand what my capabilities and strengths are so I can achieve this goal one day."

I want to establish an art club in my town

Good luck, Zahra! We know you'll #RISE to the challenge.

To meet other RISE participants and hear about their work building personal and professional capacities, make sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram and like our page on Facebook!  

No comments:

Post a Comment