Dar Si Hmad for Development, Education and Culture is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 2010 promoting local culture and sustainable initiatives through education and the integration of scientific ingenuity in Southwest Morocco. We operate North Africa's largest fog harvesting project, providing villages with access to potable water. Our Water School and Girls' E-Learning Programs build capacity in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Through our Ethnographic Field School, researchers and students engage with local communities in Agadir, Sidi Ifni, and the rural Aït Baamrane region for meaningful cross-cultural exchange.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Astonishing Experiences at Dar Si Hmad

The first time I went to the non-profit organization Dar Si Hmad, it was for a presentation about education in Morocco. The attendees were students and teachers from different backgrounds. The American presenter, Ms Renda Nazzal, encouraged me to participate and voice my opinion. I enjoyed the conversation between the participants and Renda.
I was happy to discover a space where I could speak English whenever there is a chance to do so. As a student of English, I benefited a lot from Dar Si Hmad’s activities which include personal development workshops, presentations and seminars. The activities taught me the power of sharing ideas and opinions with others, especially in the workshops where the participants work in groups and share their points of view. In addition, the cultural seminars and presentations which are held by anthropologists and other researchers taught me a great deal of things about my culture as a Moroccan.
On the left, Nora Azeroual, a fimmaker, and on the right Sara Bouderqa,
engaging in a conversation about Nora's film; "The forbidden Fruit". 
The fact that the activities I participate in are presented by native or native-like English speakers helped me sharpen sharpen my English skills, and made me confident to communicate and eager to learn. Other than benefiting from the native speakers, I also had the chance to meet, learn and network other Moroccan students, researchers and professionals leading the rest of the activities such as film screenings, seminars, and debates. I became more active in my studies and able to increase my participation in class. In addition, I have learned a lot of useful basic and professional knowledge which is very helpful to ignite my education, work in my society, and contribute to various fields.
My involvement with Dar Si Hmad has been a turning point in my life, giving me a great chance to meet new people with diverse minds and mentalities. I have acquired new skills, learned how to cooperate with others, and have become able to express myself in many situations.


Sara BouderqaSophomore, English Department, Ibn Zohr University, Agadir

No comments:

Post a Comment