Dar Si Hmad for Development, Education and Culture is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 2010 promoting local culture and sustainable initiatives through education and the integration of scientific ingenuity in Southwest Morocco. We operate North Africa's largest fog harvesting project, providing villages with access to potable water. Our Water School and Girls' E-Learning Programs build capacity in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Through our Ethnographic Field School, researchers and students engage with local communities in Agadir, Sidi Ifni, and the rural Aït Baamrane region for meaningful cross-cultural exchange.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Abdellah Zaaboul: Unsung Heroes Interview 3



Interview for Abdellah Zaaboul




Abdellah Zaaboul is a bicycle delivery man who works for Assaka café in Agadir.
He brings bread and tea to Dar Si Hmad almost daily, and will also deliver
delicious tagines for lunch and amazing couscous on Fridays.


If you are in Agadir and are interested in Abdellah’s delicious services,
please call 0661504678 to see if Assaka café’s delectable Moroccan cuisine
can be delivered to you!


What is your name?
My name is Abdellah Zaaboul.


Where are you from?
I am originally from Tiznit, Morocco where my family is currently living.
I go to Tiznit almost every weekend to visit them.


How long have you been in/ lived in Agadir?
I moved to Agadir in 1993, and I have lived and worked here ever since.


What is your occupation?
I work at Assaka café (also known as B’Aaroub) here in Agadir. I don’t have
just one job at the cafe; I play all of the roles depending on where the need is.
Sometimes I will cook, serve, clean and deliver food all in the same day.
I’ve been working here since I moved to Agadir in 1993.




How are you involved with Dar Si Hmad? (Describe “behind the scenes role.”)
And how long have you been involved with Dar Si Hmad?
I deliver food (khobz, atay, tagines, couscous, and more) from Assaka to Dar Si
Hmad on my bicycle. I’ve been delivering food to the office for about 10 months now.
I used to deliver food to people in the area by foot, but I wanted to improve my efficiency
and deliver to more customers in a shorter amount of time. As a result, I had the idea of
delivering on my bike! At first it was challenging, but the more I did it, the more I improved
at carrying the dishes while riding my bike through the city’s traffic.



What is the best part of your day?
The best part of my day is when we finish all of the deliveries, clean up the dishes
and kitchen and leave feeling fulfilled after a hard day of work. It feels great to enjoy
the free moments of the evening after a busy day of satisfying our customers. That’s
the feeling of success.



What is your favorite part about coming to DSH?
Dar Si Hmad is a family, not an office. From the first time I delivered to Dar Si Hmad,
I was impressed by the family environment of the workplace. Everyone here also pays
me right on time or in advance for my services, and I really appreciate that. I never lose
money when I come to Dar Si Hmad. They are very genuine and honest as well; if I
ever forget to collect a payment for a delivery, they are sure to remind me and pay me
in full. The staff here makes me feel so welcome and respected. They will ask me about
my day and talk to me like family. I really enjoy coming into Dar Si Hmad.

What is one of your most memorable moments on the job?
One time on a delivery for a big event, I was on Avenue El Mouqwama by Dar Si
Hmad when a taxi suddenly hit me. I was thrown across the street along with my
bike and all the food I was carrying. It was pretty disastrous, and I ended up almost
breaking my arm. However, this was a very big event that I was delivering to, so I
went back to the café to get more food, made a sling for my arm and managed to
deliver the food to the event that night with my good arm. After I got my bike fixed,
I continued to make deliveries with one arm while my other one was healing in the sling.







I would like to give a special ‘thank you’ to Dar Si Hmad staff member
Abdallah El Moutaouif for assisting in translation and in arranging the
entire interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment