Dar Si Hmad for Development, Education and Culture is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 2010 promoting local culture and sustainable initiatives through education and the integration of scientific ingenuity in Southwest Morocco. We operate North Africa's largest fog harvesting project, providing villages with access to potable water. Our Water School and Girls' E-Learning Programs build capacity in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Through our Ethnographic Field School, researchers and students engage with local communities in Agadir, Sidi Ifni, and the rural Aït Baamrane region for meaningful cross-cultural exchange.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Unsung Hero #10, Ayman

Interview with Ayman Taleb

Ayman is a local intern here at Dar Si Hmad who is heavily involved in
the new semester of RISE this year. He plays a very important role as a
young Moroccan and RISE alumni himself in the curriculum design and
facilitation of the RISE sessions.





What is your name and how old are you?
My name is Ayman Taleb and I am 24 years old.

Where are you from?
I was born and raised in Agadir, but my parents are from Essaouira, and it feels
like a second home to me as well. .

Are you currently in school/ studying and if so where?
Last year I got my masters in Quality Safety and Environmental Management
specializing in food safety from FST (Faculty of Science and Technology) Beni Mellal
in Mohammedia

Describe your role at DSH/ how you became involved with DSH
I had always heard about Dar Si Hmad and their fog harvesting project
and was really interested by the work that they do. I began following them
on social media and coincidentally came across the advertisement for the RISE
program and application last semester with two days left to apply. I knew I had
to apply, so I did and was accepted. I’ve been in touch with Dar Si Hmad ever since.
Last semester, Maisie helped me out with another program that I was applying
for, and through that we shared our mutual interest and passion in social issues.
As a result, when I heard about the RISE session assistant position, I applied
immediately. I am now currently a RISE session assistant, so I help plan the
sessions, design the new curriculum for this semester and help facilitate the
sessions. The goal of my position is to make it easier for participants to share
personal experiences and help connect our American interns to understand
how these social issues are presented in Moroccan society.   

What is your favorite part about coming to DSH?
The staff and interns here are my favorite part about coming into Dar Si Hmad!
When I come here I feel like I have a purpose. There’s magnificent, positive
energy here. Everyone is so open minded, and I love how the office maintains
professionalism while also being open, engaging and supportive. There’s a big f
ocus on the relationships between everyone in the office. I feel like I am a part
of something big and special when I come into Dar Si Hmad.



What is one thing you’d like everyone to know about DSH?
Everyone at Dar Si Hmad is so enthusiastic and genuine. There’s a shared
excitement for the work here, and your voice and opinions will always be
heard. There’s no hierarchy here. It’s very cooperative and collaborative, and
I love being apart of an office like this.


What is one of your most memorable moments at DSH thus far?
Some of the other interns and staff here at Dar Si Hmad did a mock interview for
me in preparation for a big interview I had coming up, and I have never felt so
much support as I did in that moment. I felt so capable of achieving anything I
set my mind to. They gave me some great advice and helped me believe in
myself and my skills. The support meant so much to me, and I’ll never forget
that experience.

What are you hoping to achieve during your time here?
I hope to help create a supportive and safe environment in RISE so everyone
feels free to express and share their personal experiences and stories. I would
also like to develop my professional skills through helping facilitate RISE
sessions and learn more about how NGOs are run.





No comments:

Post a Comment